Simple Baked Apples
This was our treat to enjoy while watching our Cleveland Indians play the Minnesota Twins during regular season. Unfortunately we lost a tough one, six runs to eight.
6 large apples (I used Jonagold)
1/2 cup of rolled oats
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of sucanant (unrefined sugar)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of apple cider
- Peel, core, and slice four apples. I used my apple peeler/corer/slicer tool. It’s so fast and easy!
- Cut two apples in half. Scoop out core.
- Place all apples in a deep dish oven proof pan.
- Mix oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts in a small bowl.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the apple cider over the apples.
- Sprinkle oat mixture over apples.
- Pour the rest of the apple cider over the apples.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Spoon pan drippings over apples before serving.