I baked this healthy fruit dish for our Cleveland Indians Game Day Dessert on September 27th game against the Minnesota Twins. Cleveland won 4-2!
Easy Baked Pears with Cardamom
I was surprised at how delicious baked pears can be. The natural sweetness of the pear combined with a touch of maple syrup and hit of cardamom make for a light and flavorful treat.
Pears in Ashland, Ohio were at their best in September, especially the ones I found at Local Roots. Our little town is fortunate to have this farmer’s co-op that follows ethical and organic agricultural practices. They bring their best for our community.
Jim and I are partial to Bartletts which are versatile enough for other pear dishes. I also make a flatbread recipe with this fruit that I copied from a local wine bar. It calls for caramelized onions and pears over a layer of melted brie. So good, sweet and savory!
We enjoyed this Easy Baked Pears with Cardamom dish while watching Danny Salazar shred his opponents. (For the uninitiated to baseball, that means he had several strikeouts while pitching for the Indians baseball game against the Minnesota Twins.)
I recently bought some cardamom at Urban Bulk Foods in Lakewood (very fun place to shop) which inspired this simple recipe. It’s almost identical to a baked apple dessert. Easy peasy!
Baked Pears with Cardamom
Four Bartlett pears
1/2 cup of raisins
1/2 cup of walnuts
4 tablespoons of maple syrup
8 pinches of cinnamon
8 pinches of cardamom
vanilla ice cream
Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Cut pears in half. Remove the core with a small scoop.
- Place pears in an oven proof dish. I used my enamel cast iron.
- Fill center with raisins and/or walnuts.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cardamom and a pinch of cinnamon on each pear.
- Drizzle maple syrup over pears with 2 of the tablespoons of syrup.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Drizzle the rest of the maple syrup over the pears.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, of course!
Try your hand at creating original recipes! I’d encourage you to experiment with flavors you enjoy and see what you can come up with.