Rehabbed Recipe posts are dedicated to the battle with tinnitus, aka ringing in the ears. Salicylate free foods make the difference. Gluten free ingredients, as well.
This stew is a great choice if you want a one pot meal on a chilly day. I chose my cast iron dutch oven to prepare the whole meal on the stove top. No need for any other pots and pans. Easy and delicious. As always, follow the ingredients carefully if you are going gluten and salicylate free.
This recipe inspired by pinterest! Recipe rehab changes are in bold print.
Stove Top Beef Stew
Servings: 3-4 Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 50 minutes
1 pound beef cubes for stew
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup gluten free flour
Onion and garlic salt
1 large, white onion cut up in chunks
4 carrots, peeled, cut into sticks Carrots are for those without salicylate sensitivities.
5 medium, white potatoes, peeled and quartered
16 ounces of homemade beef stock
Store bought beef stock has ingredients containing salicylates. The amount, however, is minimal. If you don’t have homemade, go for organic. I go organic and locally grown for all meats, fruits, and vegetables as much as possible.
1 cup of frozen peas
1. Place flour and a few shakes of onion and garlic salt in a paper lunch bag. Add cubed beef and shake to coat.
2. Heat 2 tbsps. of oil on low-medium heat in a cast iron dutch oven pot .
3. Add stew meat. Brown beef for about for about five minutes or until lightly browned on all sides.
4. Remove beef and set aside. Melt 1 tbsp. of oil and 2 tbsps. of butter in pot. Add onions. Lightly salt onions to help them soften. (I took this hint from pinterest.)
5. Add carrots, beef and potatoes. Salt lightly.
6. Add beef stock. Bring to rolling boil on high heat. Immediately turn heat down to low setting. Cover and simmer for about 50 minutes, or until meat, potatoes, and carrots are tender.
7. Add frozen peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
This recipe makes its own thick, flavorful gravy. Check it out. Delicious.
Happy Thanksgiving Week,